منتديات بين النهرين | الرئيسية | القوانين العامة | الاسئلة الشائعة | إتصل بنا؟ | رفع ملفات | البحث:
المنتدى في اجازة
أضف اهداء!

,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸أهلا بك يا زائر ,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸
أحدث الصوردخولالتسجيلالرئيسيةصفحة الاعلانات_البوابةالمنتدياتالدردشةالتسجيل JOINتسجيل دخول_

العنوان:

منتديات بين النهرين :: المنتديات الثقافية :: منتدى اللغات الاجنبيةشارك

Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13  

الموضوع
heartless man
حلم النهرين 3

heartless man
ألمهنة : طالب جامعي
الجنسية : iraqi
الاوسمة Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13  000_to10
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13  5_ouoo10

مُساهمة Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13  Emptyالإثنين 19 نوفمبر 2012 - 15:58

Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe Summary and Analysis Scene 13

Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13  Doctor10

SCENE 13

Enter WAGNER.

WAGNER.
I think my master means to die shortly,
For he hath given to me all his goods:
And yet, methinks, if that death were near,
He would not banquet, and carouse, and swill
Amongst the students, as even now he doth,
Who are at supper with such belly-cheer
As Wagner ne'er beheld in all his life.
See, where they come! belike the feast is ended.
[Exit.]

Enter FAUSTUS with two or three SCHOLARS, and MEPHISTOPHILIS.

FIRST SCHOLAR.
Master Doctor Faustus, since our conference about
fair ladies, which was the beautifulest in all the world, we have
determined with ourselves that Helen of Greece was the admirablest
lady that ever lived: therefore, Master Doctor, if you will do us
that favour, as to let us see that peerless dame of Greece, whom
all the world admires for majesty, we should think ourselves much
beholding unto you.

FAUSTUS.
Gentlemen,
For that I know your friendship is unfeign'd,
And Faustus' custom is not to deny
The just requests of those that wish him well,
You shall behold that peerless dame of Greece,
No otherways for pomp and majesty
Than when Sir Paris cross'd the seas with her,
And brought the spoils to rich Dardania.
Be silent, then, for danger is in words.
[Music sounds, and HELEN passeth over the stage.]

SECOND SCHOLAR.
Too simple is my wit to tell her praise,
Whom all the world admires for majesty.

THIRD SCHOLAR.
No marvel though the angry Greeks pursu'd
With ten years' war the rape of such a queen,
Whose heavenly beauty passeth all compare.

FIRST SCHOLAR.
Since we have seen the pride of Nature's works,
And only paragon of excellence,
Let us depart; and for this glorious deed
Happy and blest be Faustus evermore!

FAUSTUS.
Gentlemen, farewell: the same I wish to you.
[Exeunt SCHOLARS.]

Enter an OLD MAN.

OLD MAN.
Ah, Doctor Faustus, that I might prevail
To guide thy steps unto the way of life,
By which sweet path thou mayst attain the goal
That shall conduct thee to celestial rest!
Break heart, drop blood, and mingle it with tears,
Tears falling from repentant heaviness
Of thy most vile and loathsome filthiness,
The stench whereof corrupts the inward soul
With such flagitious crimes of heinous sin
As no commiseration may expel,
But mercy, Faustus, of thy Saviour sweet,
Whose blood alone must wash away thy guilt.

FAUSTUS.
Where art thou, Faustus? wretch, what hast thou done?
Damn'd art thou, Faustus, damn'd; despair and die!
Hell calls for right, and with a roaring voice
Says, "Faustus, come; thine hour is almost come;"
And Faustus now will come to do thee right.
[MEPHISTOPHILIS gives him a dagger.]

OLD MAN.
Ah, stay, good Faustus, stay thy desperate steps!
I see an angel hovers o'er thy head,
And, with a vial full of precious grace,
Offers to pour the same into thy soul:
Then call for mercy, and avoid despair.

FAUSTUS.
Ah, my sweet friend, I feel
Thy words to comfort my distressed soul!
Leave me a while to ponder on my sins.

OLD MAN.
I go, sweet Faustus; but with heavy cheer,
Fearing the ruin of thy hopeless soul.
[Exit.]

FAUSTUS.
Accursed Faustus, where is mercy now?
I do repent; and yet I do despair:
Hell strives with grace for conquest in my breast:
What shall I do to shun the snares of death?

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Thou traitor, Faustus, I arrest thy soul
For disobedience to my sovereign lord:
Revolt, or I'll in piece-meal tear thy flesh.

FAUSTUS.
Sweet Mephistophilis, entreat thy lord
To pardon my unjust presumption,
And with my blood again I will confirm
My former vow I made to Lucifer.

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Do it, then, quickly, with unfeigned heart,
Lest greater danger do attend thy drift.

FAUSTUS.
Torment, sweet friend, that base and crooked age,
That durst dissuade me from thy Lucifer,
With greatest torments that our hell affords

heartless man
حلم النهرين 3

heartless man
ألمهنة : طالب جامعي
الجنسية : iraqi
الاوسمة Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13  000_to10
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13  5_ouoo10

مُساهمة رد: Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 13  Emptyالإثنين 19 نوفمبر 2012 - 15:58

Summary

Wagner enters with the news that Faustus is soon to die because he has given all of his goods and properties to his servants. He doesn't understand why Faustus continues to feast and to carouse if he is so near death.

Faustus enters with scholars discussing who is the most beautiful woman in the world. The scholars think it is Helen of Troy. Because of their friendship for him, Faustus promises to raise her from the dead and let the scholars see her in all her pomp and majesty. Music sounds and Helen passes across the stage. The scholars exclaim wildly about her beauty and thank Faustus for allowing them to see this "paragon of excellence."

As an old man enters, the scholars leave. The old man prevails upon Faustus to repent of "thy most vile and loathsome filthiness" so he can come under the grace and mercy of God and be saved. Faustus fears that hell has him trapped but asks the old man to leave him alone for a while and he ponders his sins.

Mephistophilis then threatens Faustus for disobedience to Lucifer, and Faustus agrees to reaffirm his contract to the devil in blood again. After he writes the second deed, he tells Mephistophilis that he desires Helen for his own paramour. When she appears, Faustus decides that Helen's beauty shall make him immortal and thus, he will not need salvation:

Was this the face that launched a thousand ships,
And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?
Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss.
Her lips suck forth my soul; see where it flies!
Come, Helen, come, give me my soul again.
Here will I dwell, for heaven be in these lips,
And all is dross that is not Helen.

After Faustus exits with Helen, the old man re-enters and expresses his disappointment in Faustus, but he also sympathizes with him because he too has been tempted but has won victory by turning to God.

Analysis

For the first time since Faustus made his compact with Lucifer, this scene returns us to the central idea of the blood bond in which Faustus bartered his soul. Wagner's opening speech indicates that the time is shortly coming when Faustus will have to face death. At the beginning of the play, Faustus had believed that death did not exist, but now he must face not only physical death but eternal death.

Wagner also comments on the manner in which Faustus faces his forthcoming death. Faustus spends his time in banquets and other physical pleasures. He acts as though he does not know that the final feast is about to come to him.

In this scene, we see that Faustus performs his last act of conjuring. Again at the request of a friend, Faustus conjures up the image of Helen of Troy.

Note the manner in which Marlowe handles the two appearances of Helen of Troy. During the first appearance, Faustus says nothing about her, and only after the three scholars have left do we hear what Faustus' impression is. The comments of the scholars indicate something of her beauty; one calls her the majesty of the world, another refers to her as a paragon of excellence, and the third calls her a "heavenly beauty." Faustus gives the most complete and memorable description of her later in the scene.

The appearance of the old man again brings back into focus the conflict between good and evil that was expressed earlier by the Good Angel and the Evil Angel. Just before the old man's appearance, Helen, who represents the beauty of the classical world, appeared upon the stage. The old man comes to remind Faustus of the faith of the Christian world. The old man, who offers himself as a type of guide who will conduct Faustus to a celestial happiness, constantly refers to the blood of Christ, which has saved him. This blood contrasts with the blood which was used earlier to sign the contract with Lucifer and the blood which Faustus will use in a few minutes to renew the pact.

The old man appears at this point because he, along with Faustus, is approaching death. Faustus at this time still has the body of a young person, owing to the magical incantations, but has a blackened soul. The old man is ugly physically but has a beautiful soul and faith in Christ. As Mephistophilis says of the old man:

His faith is great, I cannot touch his soul;
But what I may afflict his body with
I will attempt, which is but little worth.

After a wavering in his soul, Faustus firmly resolves to keep his contract with Lucifer and offers to sign another bond in blood. We must remember that Faustus has just seen the most beautiful woman in the world and desires her. Thus, he makes the second contract to assure himself of getting Helen as his paramour. Originally, he had wanted power and knowledge, but now he is only interested in satisfying his baser appetites. Furthermore, by having Helen, he thinks that her "sweet embracings may extinguish clean / These thoughts that do dissuade me from my vow." Furthermore, in his moments of despair, there has always been something to divert him so that he will never have to think about his damnation. As the old man tempts him to turn to the paths of righteousness, the memory of the beautiful and desirable Helen intrudes upon his consciousness and causes him to think only of possessing her.

Through the poetic descriptions of Helen, we are convinced that she is the epitome of beauty and the most desirable woman in the world. It is ironic that Faustus thinks that this classical beauty can make him immortal through a kiss more readily than he could achieve immortality through belief in Christ. He thinks that she will be a paradise for him, and ironically he gives up all hope of eternal paradise.

The ending of the scene is a contrast to the final scene. The old man re-enters and announces that he has undergone great temptations during life and has overcome his temptations. He notes that he feels that he has triumphed over Mephistophilis and the fiends. In the final scene, Faustus, who has the same opportunity, fails to triumph over the satanic powers and is carried away to damnation. Thus, the appearance of the old man, who announces his triumph, reminds the audience that Faustus could have repented at almost any point and achieved salvation. The fact that Faustus never does repent suggests that Faustus intellectually wills his own damnation.

صندوق الرد السريع .. نافذة الرد الحديث

صفحة 1 من اصل 1

روابط اضافية تفيدك: الكيبورد العربي :: الشروحات المصورة :: سياسة الخصوصية :: الابراج :: صفحة الاعلانات :: المتواجدون
هذه احدى صفحات منتديات بين النهرين العراقية ذات الـحقـوق المـحـفـوظـة منتديات بين النهرين العراقية 2008 - 2012
هذا المنتدى يعرض محتواه باللغة العربية وبصورة حصرية، لكن يسمح لك بترجمة المحتوى مع مترجم جوجل من هنا
واي نسـخ او اقـتـبـاس لـهذه الصفـحة او اي من صفحـات المنتدى يعرضك للمسائلــة القـانونية و الى حذف منتداك
جميع المواضيع المطروحة بالمنتدى لاتعبر بالضرورة عن رأي ادارة المنتدى وانما تعبر عن رأي كاتب المشاركة فقط
المنتدى يعمل بصورة متكاملة ورائعة على المتصفح MozillaFirefox وستواجه بطئاً في التحميل اذا استخدمت IE
اتصل بالادارة | © phpBB | منتدى مجاني | أحلى منتدى | التبليغ عن مخالفة | مدونة مجانية | الرئيسية

you're browsing one of Beinulnahrain (Mesopotamia) forum pages that shows it's contents in ARABIC exclusivly
you can browse it in your language whenever you used Google translator from this link