منتديات بين النهرين | الرئيسية | القوانين العامة | الاسئلة الشائعة | إتصل بنا؟ | رفع ملفات | البحث:
المنتدى في اجازة
أضف اهداء!

,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸أهلا بك يا زائر ,.-~*'¨¯¨'*·~-.¸
أحدث الصوردخولالتسجيلالرئيسيةصفحة الاعلانات_البوابةالمنتدياتالدردشةالتسجيل JOINتسجيل دخول_

العنوان:

منتديات بين النهرين :: المنتديات الثقافية :: منتدى اللغات الاجنبيةشارك

Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3  

الموضوع
heartless man
حلم النهرين 3

heartless man
ألمهنة : طالب جامعي
الجنسية : iraqi
الاوسمة Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3  000_to10
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3  5_ouoo10

مُساهمة Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3  Emptyالإثنين 19 نوفمبر 2012 - 15:29

Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe Summary and Analysis Scene 3

Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3  Doctor10

SCENE 3

Enter FAUSTUS to conjure.

FAUSTUS.
Now that the gloomy shadow of the earth,
Longing to view Orion's drizzling look,
Leaps from th' antartic world unto the sky,
And dims the welkin with her pitchy breath,
Faustus, begin thine incantations,
And try if devils will obey thy hest,
Seeing thou hast pray'd and sacrific'd to them.
Within this circle is Jehovah's name,
Forward and backward anagrammatiz'd,
Th' abbreviated names of holy saints,
Figures of every adjunct to the heavens,
And characters of signs and erring stars,
By which the spirits are enforc'd to rise:
Then fear not, Faustus, but be resolute,
And try the uttermost magic can perform. —
Sint mihi dei Acherontis propitii! Valeat numen triplex Jehovoe!
Ignei, aerii, aquatani spiritus, salvete! Orientis princeps
Belzebub, inferni ardentis monarcha, et Demogorgon, propitiamus
vos, ut appareat et surgat Mephistophilis, quod tumeraris:
per Jehovam, Gehennam, et consecratam aquam quam nunc spargo,
signumque crucis quod nunc facio, et per vota nostra, ipse nunc
surgat nobis dicatus Mephistophilis!

Enter MEPHISTOPHILIS.

I charge thee to return, and change thy shape;
Thou art too ugly to attend on me:
Go, and return an old Franciscan friar;
That holy shape becomes a devil best.
[Exit MEPHISTOPHILIS.]

I see there's virtue in my heavenly words:
Who would not be proficient in this art?
How pliant is this Mephistophilis,
Full of obedience and humility!
Such is the force of magic and my spells:
No, Faustus, thou art conjuror laureat,
That canst command great Mephistophilis:
Quin regis Mephistophilis fratris imagine.

Re-enter MEPHISTOPHILIS like a Franciscan friar.

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Now, Faustus, what wouldst thou have me do?

FAUSTUS.
I charge thee wait upon me whilst I live,
To do whatever Faustus shall command,
Be it to make the moon drop from her sphere,
Or the ocean to overwhelm the world.

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
I am a servant to great Lucifer,
And may not follow thee without his leave:
No more than he commands must we perform.

FAUSTUS.
Did not he charge thee to appear to me?

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
No, I came hither of mine own accord.

FAUSTUS.
Did not my conjuring speeches raise thee? speak.

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
That was the cause, but yet per accidens;
For, when we hear one rack the name of God,
Abjure the Scriptures and his Saviour Christ,
We fly, in hope to get his glorious soul;
Nor will we come, unless he use such means
Whereby he is in danger to be damn'd.
Therefore the shortest cut for conjuring
Is stoutly to abjure the Trinity,
And pray devoutly to the prince of hell.

FAUSTUS.
So Faustus hath
Already done; and holds this principle,
There is no chief but only Belzebub;
To whom Faustus doth dedicate himself.
This word "damnation" terrifies not him,
For he confounds hell in Elysium:
His ghost be with the old philosophers!
But, leaving these vain trifles of men's souls,
Tell me what is that Lucifer thy lord?

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Arch-regent and commander of all spirits.

FAUSTUS.
Was not that Lucifer an angel once?

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Yes, Faustus, and most dearly lov'd of God.

FAUSTUS.
How comes it, then, that he is prince of devils?

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
O, by aspiring pride and insolence;
For which God threw him from the face of heaven.

FAUSTUS.
And what are you that live with Lucifer?

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Unhappy spirits that fell with Lucifer,
Conspir'd against our God with Lucifer,
And are for ever damn'd with Lucifer.

FAUSTUS.
Where are you damn'd?

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
In hell.

FAUSTUS.
How comes it, then, that thou art out of hell?

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it:
Think'st thou that I, who saw the face of God,
And tasted the eternal joys of heaven,
Am not tormented with ten thousand hells,
In being depriv'd of everlasting bliss?
O, Faustus, leave these frivolous demands,
Which strike a terror to my fainting soul!

FAUSTUS.
What, is great Mephistophilis so passionate
For being deprived of the joys of heaven?
Learn thou of Faustus manly fortitude,
And scorn those joys thou never shalt possess.
Go bear these tidings to great Lucifer:
Seeing Faustus hath incurr'd eternal death
By desperate thoughts against Jove's deity,
Say, he surrenders up to him his soul,
So he will spare him four and twenty years,
Letting him live in all voluptuousness;
Having thee ever to attend on me,
To give me whatsoever I shall ask,
To tell me whatsoever I demand,
To slay mine enemies, and aid my friends,
And always be obedient to my will.
Go and return to mighty Lucifer,
And meet me in my study at midnight,
And then resolve me of thy master's mind.

MEPHISTOPHILIS.
I will, Faustus.
[Exit.]

FAUSTUS.
Had I as many souls as there be stars,
I'd give them all for Mephistophilis.
By him I'll be great emperor of the world,
And make a bridge thorough the moving air,
To pass the ocean with a band of men;
I'll join the hills that bind the Afric shore,
And make that country continent to Spain,
And both contributory to my crown:
The Emperor shall not live but by my leave,
Nor any potentate of Germany.
Now that I have obtain'd what I desir'd,
I'll live in speculation of this art,
Till Mephistophilis return again.
[Exit.]

heartless man
حلم النهرين 3

heartless man
ألمهنة : طالب جامعي
الجنسية : iraqi
الاوسمة Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3  000_to10
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3  5_ouoo10

مُساهمة رد: Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3
Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe : Scene 3  Emptyالإثنين 19 نوفمبر 2012 - 15:29

Summary

Faustus decides to try incantation for the first time. He mutters a long passage in Latin which is composed of passages abjuring the trinity and invoking the aid of the powers of the underworld. Mephistophilis then appears in a hideous shape, and Faustus tells him that he is too ugly. He demands that Mephistophilis disappear and return in the shape of a Franciscan friar. Faustus is elated that he has the power to call up this devil. As soon as Mephistophilis reappears, Faustus finds that it is not his conjuration which brings forth a devil; a devil will appear any time that a person abjures the name of the trinity.

Faustus asks Mephistophilis several questions about Lucifer and learns that he is a fallen angel who, because of pride and insolence, revolted against God and was cast into hell. When Faustus begins to inquire about the nature of hell, Mephistophilis answers that hell is wherever God is not present. Faustus chides Mephistophilis for being so passionate about being deprived of the joys of heaven, and then sends him back to Lucifer with the proposal that Faustus will exchange his soul for twenty-four years of unlimited power. After Mephistophilis leaves, Faustus dreams of all the glorious deeds he will perform with his new power.

Analysis

In this scene, Faustus takes the first definite and inexorable steps toward his own damnation as he abjures the trinity and appeals to the black powers of hell. The incantation, the abjuring of the trinity, and the spectacle of the sudden appearance of a horrible looking devil on the stage are very effective dramatically. The mere fact that a man abjures the trinity and invokes the powers of hell carries an awesome significance. According to the amount of stage machinery available, the appearance of Mephistophilis could be accompanied by dreadful noises, bursts of lightning, smoke, or any combination of the above. In the following comic scenes, the appearance of a devil is accompanied by the explosion of firecrackers.

Mephistophilis' first appearance is also dramatically effective because he appears so suddenly and in a horrifying shape. The symbolic significance of his appearance is obvious: hell is a place of horror and damnation and anything emanating from there would appear extremely ugly. This physical detail alone should function as a portentous warning to Faustus, who, however, ignores the implication and simply orders Mephistophilis to reappear in a more favorable shape.

Faustus' command to Mephistophilis to reappear as a Franciscan friar satirizes the religious order which had been the subject of various literary attacks since the times of Chaucer. The satire on friars also reflects the English rejection of the Roman Catholic church which is also demonstrated in a later scene in the pope's chamber.

Faustus' first reaction to Mephistophilis' appearance is one of pride in his power to evoke a devil. He thinks that Mephistophilis is completely obedient to his will and feels that he is a "conjuror laureate." Instead, Faustus learns that a devil will appear to anyone who curses the name of God. Faustus is foolish to think that a devil is obedient to anyone except Lucifer. Thus, even at the beginning of the play, Faustus is greatly deceived about his own powers and deceived about his relationship with Mephistophilis.

Faustus acts as if he believes he has complete power and is completely free. But Mephistophilis' condition indicates that no person who deals with the devil is free. Even Mephistophilis is bound over to the devil, and as soon as Faustus enters into a contract he will no longer be free either.

At first, Faustus retains part of his old nobility as he begins to question Mephistophilis about Lucifer. Faustus is now intent upon gaining more knowledge; he wants to know something about the character of Lucifer. Mephistophilis reveals that Lucifer had once been a favorite angel until his fall. The story of Lucifer re-establishes the imagery of a fall which had first been referred to in the classical fall of Icarus.

Lucifer fell because of "aspiring pride and insolence." This image may be applied to the fall of Faustus because in his pride he is trying to discover more than is allowed to humans.

Faustus' next question involves the nature of hell and the nature of damnation. The reader should remember that at the time of this play, the Anglican church had been separated from the Roman Catholic church for only a short time. This passage emphasizes the newly established view of hell as advocated by the Anglican church. Rather than being an established or definite physical place, hell is seen as a state or condition. Any place that is deprived of the presence of God is hell.

Why this is hell, nor am I out of it.
Think'st thou that I who saw the face of God,
And tasted the eternal joys of heaven,
Am not tormented with ten thousand hells,
In being deprived of everlasting bliss?

Thus, the greatest punishment a person can endure is not a physical torment but, more directly, exclusion from the presence of God.

It is highly ironic that Mephistophilis, in remembering the bliss of heaven, suddenly tells Faustus to "leave these frivolous demands, which strike a terror to my fainting soul." Even with this definite warning from an authority of hell, Faustus does not modify his intent to carry out his plans. Instead, Faustus scolds Mephistophilis for not being resolute. Later these roles will be reversed and Mephistophilis will have to urge Faustus to be more resolute.

Faustus sends Mephistophilis back to Lucifer, naming the demands in exchange for his soul. The terms are rather broad in intent but later Faustus makes little use of the powers he now demands. After Mephistophilis leaves, Faustus revels in his sense of omnipotence. He becomes completely absorbed in dreams of what he will do with his newly gained power. Unfortunately for Faustus, he never achieves the things he is now dreaming of even though he has the potential. Instead, he will do no more than play insignificant and paltry tricks. Part of his tragedy is that he received this power but failed to utilize it in any significant manner.

In the Renaissance view, humans lived in an ordered universe which was governed by principles of law. Even Mephistophilis recognizes that the universe is governed by law, but Faustus is working under the mistaken belief that he has been able to abrogate divine law by his conjuration.

صندوق الرد السريع .. نافذة الرد الحديث

صفحة 1 من اصل 1

روابط اضافية تفيدك: الكيبورد العربي :: الشروحات المصورة :: سياسة الخصوصية :: الابراج :: صفحة الاعلانات :: المتواجدون
هذه احدى صفحات منتديات بين النهرين العراقية ذات الـحقـوق المـحـفـوظـة منتديات بين النهرين العراقية 2008 - 2012
هذا المنتدى يعرض محتواه باللغة العربية وبصورة حصرية، لكن يسمح لك بترجمة المحتوى مع مترجم جوجل من هنا
واي نسـخ او اقـتـبـاس لـهذه الصفـحة او اي من صفحـات المنتدى يعرضك للمسائلــة القـانونية و الى حذف منتداك
جميع المواضيع المطروحة بالمنتدى لاتعبر بالضرورة عن رأي ادارة المنتدى وانما تعبر عن رأي كاتب المشاركة فقط
المنتدى يعمل بصورة متكاملة ورائعة على المتصفح MozillaFirefox وستواجه بطئاً في التحميل اذا استخدمت IE
اتصل بالادارة | © phpBB | منتدى مجاني | أحلى منتدى | التبليغ عن مخالفة | مدونة مجانية | الرئيسية

you're browsing one of Beinulnahrain (Mesopotamia) forum pages that shows it's contents in ARABIC exclusivly
you can browse it in your language whenever you used Google translator from this link